If you suspect child abuse, MANDATED REPORTERS MUST ADHERE TO THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURES. Immediately call Child Welfare Services at:
San Luis Obispo County: 805.781.KIDS (5437)
Santa Barbara County: 800.367.0166 www.preventchildabusesb.org
Ventura County: 805.654.3200 www.partnershipforsafefamilies.org
- If you are a reporting as Mandatory Reporter, complete and file aSuspected Child Abuse Report Form #SS8572.
- Retain a “readable” copy of the SCAR Report.
- YOU are responsible for making this report. DO NOT ALLOW your supervisor/principal to make the report for you or assume because another co-worker has some of the same information that they will make the report.
- Do not attempt to investigate, interview or interfere with the information you hold
- Remember that you are to report SUSPECTED abuse – you are not required to have witnessed or have complete proof of the incident. You are obligated by law to report what you observe or what you are told that caused suspicion that a child is being physically, sexually, emotionally abused or being neglected. When in doubt, call CWS or law enforcement and get their input about the scope of your report.