Center for Family Strengthening is dedicated to strengthening families through education and advocacy. The center partners with family support organizations in San Luis Obispo County to provide resources to families in need, protect children from abuse and neglect, and ensure that strong families are a community priority.

Helping families thrive.
DonateNow
News
  • 2019 Children’s Memorial Flag Raising Ceremony

    Please join us for the 1st Annual Children's Memorial Flag Raising Ceremony in San Luis Obispo County. The Department of Social Services in collaboration with the California Office of Child… Read more…

  • 2019 Child Abuse Prevention Academy

    Please join Center for Family Strengthening and Cuesta College Early Childhood Education for the Annual Child Abuse Prevention Academy. We gather every April in honor of National Child Abuse Prevention Month to… Read more…

  • Give Children Affected by Trauma a Chance to Thrive

    Martha's Place Gives Children who Suffer from Prenatal Substance Exposure and Early Childhood Trauma a Chance to Thrive and to Reach their Full Potential. A research study known as the… Read more…

  • Promotores Collaborative Program Successes!

        The County of San Luis Obispo Preventive Health Grant sponsors the professional coordination services required for a high functioning Promotores Collaborative. Center for Family Strengthening (CFS) provides leadership development and… Read more…

  • CFS Promotes Staff Member

    Center for Family Strengthening promotes Erica Ruvalcaba-Heredia to Director of Promotores Collaborative. “We are thrilled with Erica’s accomplishments in driving the growth and success of Promotores Collaborative,” said Lisa Fraser,… Read more…

Child abuse prevention is about strengthening families to help families thrive.  We invite you to travel through our website and learn about our evidence-based programs, gain knowledge about the child abuse prevention field and discover how you may partner with Center for Family Strengthening to promote prevention of child abuse and neglect in San Luis Obispo County.

What is the mission of Center for Family Strengthening?

Center for Family Strengthening (AKA San Luis Obispo County Child Abuse Prevention Council) was founded by a group of concerned citizens and professionals.  In 1988 the San Luis Obispo County Board of Supervisors designated Center for Family Strengthening formerly known as SLO/CAP as the self-governing entity responsible for local efforts to prevent and respond to child abuse and neglect. Center for Family Strengthening is dedicated to strengthening families through education and advocacy. Center for Family Strengthening partners with family support organizations in SLO County to provide resources to families in need, protect children from abuse and neglect, and ensure that strong families are a community priority.

Center for Family Strengthening (CFS), a private non-profit 501(c)(3), receives 70% of its annual budget from individual donors, private grants, private foundations, corporations, and other community organizations with the remaining 30% coming from government contracts  to provide critical family services to thousands in our community each year.   

To learn more about the purpose of Child Abuse Prevention Councils, visit CAPCfactSheet.

Why did SLO-CAP change its name?

San Luis Obispo Child Abuse Prevention council changed its name to reflect its core programs and competencies for the prevention of child abuse. Child abuse is preventable by strengthening families and fostering healthy development of children. The new name reflects this family strengthening approach for the prevention of child abuse. 

How does the does Center for Family Strengthening prevent abuse through its programs?

Center for Family Strengthening partners closely with Family Resource Center agencies as they connect to families in the community. The agencies are trained to recognize the absence of any one of the Five Protective Factors in a family, which may cause significant stress and trigger potential abuse. The Center has established educational programs and services that strengthen the family and address these protective factors in an effort to get the family back on track and prevent abuses.

Working with the Community, the Center for Family Strengthening prevents child abuse by offering programs that make systemic changes in lives of families. And it works. Despite a crushing recession and an increasing county population we’ve achieved a 12% decrease in cases of child abuse in SLO County. Yet, there is still so much more to do.

What Programs do you offer and how much do they cost?

Our programs are free and we have a strong network of services to refer you to help meet the community needs.

Through Parent Connection (805-543-3770), we offer parenting skills classes and coaching skills, and support mothers with the Postpartum Depression Support Line (805-541-3367). Early Childhood Advocacy Services provide support and education for pregnant and parenting families with children ages 0 – 5. Through Kidz Toolbox for Personal Safety, we teach child protective and safety skills. We train professionals on their mandated reporter of suspected child abuse responsibilities’ and educate the community on child abuse reporting laws.  Promotores Collaborative is a volunteer team of Spanish-speaking members who connect to families in need.  We work with Public Health programs to make dental care accessible to the thousands of children in this county who do not qualify for MediCal. We coordinate The LINK Family Resource Center,  a community hub providing family advocacy services and school-based interventions for families in crisis.
 

How effective are these programs in preventing Child Abuse?

Proving the effectiveness of our work is a priority. We have identified performance measures as well as strategies that work, and we are developing qualitative as well as quantitative data for effectiveness for each of our programs. Many of our programs are evidence based, which means we rely on practices that have been proven to work.

We have decreased child abuse in San Luis Obispo County by 12 percent through the achievement of our programs. Learn more at http://cfsslo.org/our-victories/

Where does the money come from to support these programs?

Center for Family Strengthening (CFS),a private non-profit 501(c)(3), receives 70% of its annual budget from individual donors, private grants, private foundations, corporations, and other community organizations with the remaining 30% coming from government contracts  to provide critical family services to thousands in our community each year.   

How do I donate to a program?

Your donations can be designated to a particular program or donated as an unrestricted gift. To learn more about Center for Family Strengthening go to http://cfsslo.org/get-involved/donate/ or call 805 543-6216. 

How do I contact you for support services.

To learn more about Center for Family Strengthening go to www.cfsslo.org or call 805 543-6216.

Events
Newsletter Sign-up